Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Venus in Furs

I just recently watched Velvet Goldmine, a film by Todd Haynes. I really wasn't expecting anything going into it, but damn was I surprised.

I have to admit, before I say anything else, that there was so much wrong with the movie. It just wasn't made very well. But, there was too much right with it for me no to love it.

In short, David Bowie and Iggy Pop references, Oscar Wilde, Glam!, glitter, HOT HOT GORGEOUS cast, phenomenal wardrobe, spectacular makeup, and to top it all off- one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.

The film makes me want to wear sparkly dresses, feather boas, neon platforms, and makes me want to sprinkle glitter on everything.

I really wish Brian Slade was a real artist. The few original songs in the movie are nothing short of brilliant. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers' voice was surprisingly amazing and refreshing.
I'm basically obsessed with it now, and have watched it 3 times in the past 5 days. On top of that, I've ordered the physical soundtrack even though I'm able to just download it, which I have done.

Oh, and Brian Slade, although a fictional character, is my new husband- Check That Juliet!